and Ticks are small parasites that feed on the skin of your
turtle. Small parasites will be visible on the surface of
your turtle. When a situation like this occurs it is always
best to seek the advice of your veterinarian. They will be
able to confirm the diagnosis by using a microscope and recommend
a treatment. Most animals that are kept as pets are at risk
of becoming infected with mites and/or ticks. The best way
to avoid these parasitic infestation is to ensure that the
turtles habitat is clean at all times. It is recommended that
you thoroughly clean the habitat on a weekly basis with minor
cleanings as needed on a daily basis.
Many turtle owners are tempted
to pull the mites or ticks off the surface of the turtle.
This can actually cause more damage because parts of the parasites
will still be left in the skin. This can cause infection over
time as there will be many tiny but open wounds on the surface
of the turtle. Furthermore, the infestation is likely to reoccur
shortly because you will never have completely eliminated
it. Substances are available either through your veterinarian
or your local pet store that you can bathe your turtle in
to kill the parasites.