Although they are not common parasites that
live within the intestines of your guinea pig can cause considerable
If the parasite infestation has had time to progress chances
are your guinea pig will become weak and lethargic. This accompanied
with a significant drop in their food intake will likely be
the first signs that you will notice. They will eat less not
only because it hurts to eat but also because it is hard for
them to digest their food as the parasites will begin to fill
the intestines. Unfortunately there are certain types of parasites
that can live within your guinea pig for extended periods
of time with little or no signs even though they may be causing
moderate amounts of pain to your guinea pig.
Veterinarian assistance will be required for intestinal infections.
A stool sample performed by the veterinarian will confirm
the diagnosis. This will allow the vet to prescribe the proper
medication and give you a plan to help the guinea pig recover.